Water Pollution Essay

1905 Words8 Pages
Water Pollution At first glance it does not take a long, hard look to realize that our planet has an abundance of water at its disposal. Nearly 75 percent of the Earth’s surface is covered by water. The oceans and seas of the planet contain 97.5 percent of that water supply with the remaining 2.5 percent coming in the form of fresh water or water with a salt content of less than 0.1 percent. It is this fresh water that most of us and other living organisms depend upon for sustenance yet it is this same fresh water that too many of us contribute in its neglect and degradation. The initial thought that comes to mind when water is the topic usually involves its consumption as a necessity of life. However, its significance encompasses more than just its everyday role as a source of water for drinking, bathing, and/or irrigating crops. As previously mentioned, nearly 75 percent of our planet is encompassed by water, which easily establishes it as the undisputed resource that should garner our utmost and undivided attention. Without the presence of this invaluable combination of hydrogen and oxygen, our lives or the lives any other human organism on this Earth would be absolutely impossible. This valuable resource is of utmost importance for any plant, animal, or human to survive and/or blossom. Despite this being something that many of us fully acknowledge, we continue to blatantly disregard it by blindly polluting our rivers, lakes, and oceans. Subsequently, we are slowly but surely destroying our environment to the point that the very organisms that aid us in maintaining our lives and also our eco-systems continue to die at a rate that many of us would be hard-pressed to believe. Compounding the problem of our eco-systems slowly but surely dying off, our drinking water has become significantly affected as has our ability to also use water for recreational purposes.

More about Water Pollution Essay

Open Document