Creatine Research Paper

909 Words4 Pages
Cody Laskaris Mr. Brathol Athletic Training 5-13-12 Creatine Creatine has become a popular nutritional supplement among athletes. “Creatine is a compound that's involved in the production of energy in the body, in the form of adenosine triphosphate. Made in the liver, approximately 95% of the body's creatine ends up being stored in skeletal muscles and the remaining 5% is found in the brain, heart, and testes. Once it's used, creatine is converted to a waste product called creatinine and excreted in urine” (Creatine). It was first discovered in 1835, when a French scientist named Chevreul discovered a component of skeletal muscle that he later named creatine- after the Greek word for flesh. Supplements are commonly sold as powders; liquids,…show more content…
It helps anyone who wants to build muscle endurance, increase lean body mass, boost strength, and increase anaerobic performance. Creatine helps your cells retain water, which is good for performance. This can, however, give you a higher body weight; this is why fighters and other weight-class athletes may need to cycle off creatine from time to time. Creatine is safe for teenagers and it's also effective. Research suggests that creatine improves strength and performance in teenagers who were already in shape and highly-trained for their sport. It is safe, but users should always look at label directions and follow manufacturer's suggestions when considering creatine. Although the supplement can help build muscle, creatine has many negative affects on the human body. Studies have shown that the long term use of creatine is not healthy. It can lead to many different factors such as: chronic heart failure, heart disease, bone density, depression, dialysis, high cholesterol, spinal cord injury, or memory loss. It may also lead to stomach cramps, nausea, muscle cramps, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and weight…show more content…
Twelve trials including a total of 266 participants met their selection criteria. The researchers found no improvement in muscle strength in people with genetic diseases called metabolic myopathies, such as McArdle's disease. Creatine was, however, effective at improving muscle strength in people with muscular dystrophies and was well-tolerated (Jenkins). An example of a typical loading dose in exercise performance (for adults ages 19 and older): Take 5g of creatine monohydrate, 4 times daily (20s total daily) for 2 to 5 days. Maintenance dose in exercise performance (for adults ages 19 and older): Take 2g daily. Your body may absorb creatine better when you take it with carbohydrate foods, such as fruits, fruit juices, and starches. The doses listed have been tested frequently in athletes. But it’s not known whether these dosages have the same effects in non-athletes (UMMC). Overall, although creatine may have negative effects, it can boost your muscle strength if you use the right amount at the right time. I think creatine will keep being used in the future; it has been in use since the 1800s and many people still use it today. It started out as just one simple supplement, and now has different flavors and brands; I see creatine in use in the

More about Creatine Research Paper

Open Document