The milk was taken out from the water, then 15~20 drops glacial acetic acid were added. The milk was stirred with a stirring rod (every five drops were observed) until a white solid has formed. 5. Put cheesecloth on the top of 50 mL beaker, also using a rubberband to tie it. Separating the liquid and solid when the mixture was poured
Introduction In Project 2, the goal of the experiment was to test for the active acidic or basic ingredients in a commercial product. By using standardized solutions of HCl and NaOH to perform a titration of the chosen commercial product, which was Vitamin C tablets and lime juice, the ascorbic acid content could be taken and compared to the manufactures standards. The information that was gained in this experiment can be compared to the manufacture’s stated amount of Vitamin C and lime juice in the nutrition facts, and our rests would either refute their measurements or prove them to be truthful. If our tests concluded that the sample of their product was so far off that it exceeds a 20% error, it will be out of the FDA standards of acceptable error and in turn be considered defective. Methods My group used the method of titration to test whether the Vitamin C and lime juice nutritional facts where correct from their manufacture.
Materials & Methods Materials: · Scale · 4 6” Dialysis Tubing · 4 Transfer Pipets · Sugar · Scissors · Rubber Bands · 4 Same-Sized Coffee Cups · 250ml Graduated Cylinder · Tape Measure · Sauce Pan · 3 600ml Containers · Plastic Covering · Spoon Methods: 1.) Place 4 6” pieces of dialysis tubing into coffee cups full of tap with and leave them for two hours prior to beginning the experiment. 2.) As you wait, prepare your three sugar solutions. For the first solution, pour 5 grams of sugar into 250ml graduated cylinder and add water up to the 250ml mark.
The melting point range was then determined by utilizing a melting point apparatus. RESULTS Final Product Weight: .024g Melting Pointing Range: 165-200°C DISCUSSION In this experiment, caffeine was isolated from tealeaves through extraction, distillation and sublimation. Caffeine (also known as Guaranine, Methyltheobromine, and Thein) is defined as a naturally occurring chemical stimulant of the central nervous system that occurs in beans, leaves, fruit, and beverages such
It is important for an IV solution to have salts in it so the water and solute can be equal to create an isotonic environment. If there wasn’t, there would either be a hypotonic causing the cell to burst, or there would be hypertonic causing the cell to shrink. We created models of living cells by using dialysis tubing. The dialysis tube represented the cell membrane to act as selectively permeable to water and some solutes. We observed different solutes (NaCl, Ovalbumin, Glucose, Sucrose, and Water) in the dialysis tubing.
5 ml volumetric pipette (for wine) or 10 ml milk pipette (for juice/must) Mettler Toledo S20 pH meter Heat/stir plate Stir bars 250 ml beaker 10 ml or 25 ml burette Reagents 1. 2. 3. 4. 0.10 N NaOH Phenolphthalein indicator 1% Buffers: 4.00 pH and 7.00 pH Dilute acid and dilute base for TA analysis PROCEDURE: 1.
Plan: Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down starch to a sugar (maltose). -Label 5 test tubes 1-5. -Place 5cm3 of starch solution into each test tube. -Add 2cm3 of pH solution to each test tube. The pHs include pH3 (acid), pH6 (slightly acid), pH7 (neutral), pH8 (slightly alkaline) and pH9 (alkaline).
Once calculated, these results can be analyzed and will either validate or refute my hypothesis. Introduction (Library Research): Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is found in orange juice. In this experiment, orange juice made from the concentrate was measured for decreases/increases of off-flavours (furfural and α-terpineol) and for decreases/increases of ascorbic acid. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) as well as hydrochloric acid (HCl) were added during separate trials to change the PH in the orange juice. An increase of PH from 3.2 to 4.2 enabled the protection of ascorbic acid levels, without increasing the levels of other enzymes.
Abstract: For this experiment daphnia was used to experiment the effect of different substances on its heartbeat. We used daphnia because it has similarities to humans and we can't experiment using these substances with humans. The substances we used to conduct the experiment was adrenalin which was hypothesized in the beginning to increase the heart rate of daphnia and acetylcholine to decrease the heart rate of daphnia .Before we recorded the daphnia with any substance it was first recorded in its initial base pond water; this was our control. After we recorded the initial base we recorded the effect of different substances on the daphnia heart rate. The end results proved that the hypothesis supported the experiment, that adrenalin speeds up the heart rate of daphnia and acetylcholine slows down the heart beat rate in daphnia as it does in humans.