3nvq Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Essay
5279 Words22 Pages
COMPLYING WITH STATUTORY REGULATIONS AND ORGANISATIONAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
1. What are the roles and responsibilities of yourself and others under the Health and Safety at Work Act and current legislation?
Personal protective equipment is to be supplied and used at work wherever there are risks to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled in other ways. The Regulations also require that PPE:
- is properly assessed before use to ensure it is suitable;
- is maintained and stored properly;
- is provided with instructions on how to use it safely; and
- is used correctly by employees.
- simple maintenance can be carried out by the trained wearer, but more intricate repairs should only be done by specialists.
The Regulations require employers to:
- avoid the need for hazardous manual handling, so far as is reasonably practicable;
- assess the risk of injury from any hazardous manual handling that can’t be avoided; and
- reduce the risk of injury from hazardous manual handling, so far as is reasonably practicable.
- follow appropriate systems of work laid down for their safety;
- make proper use of equipment provided for their safety;
- co-operate with their employer on health and safety matters;
- inform the employer if they identify hazardous handling activities;
- take care to ensure that their activities do not put others at risk.
2. What are the specific regulations and safe working practices and procedures that apply to your work activities?
Specific regulations and safe working practices are laid out in company manual along with procedures for work activities. It is important to identify all hazards and risks before work begins to avoid danger. Risk assessment identifies hazards and their risks. Method statements establish safe working systems such as permits to work etc to control the risks.