Advanced Placement United States History
Recent Essay and DBQ Questions
DBQ: Although New England and the Chesapeake region were both settled largely by people of English origin, by 1700 the regions had evolved into two distinct societies. Why did this difference in development occur? Use the documents and your knowledge of the colonial period up to 1700 to develop your answer.
1. "Throughout the colonial period, economic concerns had more to do with the settling of British North America than did religious concerns." Assess the validity of this statement with specific reference to economic and religious concerns.
2. For the period before 1750, analyze the ways in which Britain's policy of salutary neglect influenced the development of American society as illustrated in the following: (1) legislative assemblies, (2) commerce, (3) religion.
3. Analyze the extent to which religious freedom existed in the British North American colonies prior to 1700.
4. Analyze the cultural and economic responses of TWO of the following groups to the Indians of North America before 1750: (1) British, (2) French, (3) Spanish.
5. How did economic, geographic and social factors encourage the growth of slavery as an important part of the economy of the southern colonies between 1607 and 1775?
6. Compare the ways in which religion shaped the development of colonial society (to 1740) in TWO of the following regions: (1) New England, (2) Chesapeake, and (3) Middle Atlantic.
DBQ: To what extent had the colonists developed a sense of their identity and unity as Americans by the eve of the Revolution? Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1750 to 1776 to answer the question.
DBQ: The debate over the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 revealed bitter controversies on a number of issues. Use the documents and your knowledge of the early national period to discuss the issues involved and explain why these...