Welfare Recipients Are Stereotyped? Essay

1381 WordsNov 12, 20136 Pages
Michelle Sauernheimer Instructor Dallacheisa English 21011 12 November 2013 Welfare Recipients are Stereo-typed? Many people suffer from substance abuse. Old or young, black or white, male or female, rich or poor, it doesn’t matter. Although substance abuse can afflict anyone, this gives no one the right to use taxpayer money to support their drug habit. With the uproar of taxpayers and politician calling for persons applying welfare benefits to submit to a drug screen, the question is raised as to whether people on welfare are being stereotyped as drug users. Some believe that people on welfare are more likely to be drug users than people who are not on welfare. Florida Governor, Rick Scott stated in an interview with CNN that, “studies show that people on welfare are higher users of drugs than the people not on welfare” (Scott). However, 96% of the recipients tested in Florida passed the test. Two percent of the remaining 4% tested positive, with the remaining 2% being those who did not finish applying (Whittenburg). This may suggest something. Take into consideration the many forms of government assistance such as farm loans, student loans, SSI, Unemployment, Earned Income Credit on tax returns, and even politician paychecks. These do not require drug testing in order to receive them, so why only test persons receiving welfare benefits like food stamps, cash assistance, and Medicaid? Is the impoverished being stereotyped as drug users? It’s starting to seem possible. After much reading and research, there does seem to be a general consensus that persons on welfare are lazy, drug using bottom feeders, looking for a free ride through life, supported by taxpayer’s hard earned money. However, there are many people receiving public assistance that do work, also pay taxes, and don’t do drugs, yet still seek assistance to compensate for what they

More about Welfare Recipients Are Stereotyped? Essay

Open Document