Things Fall Apart Reflection Essay

1255 WordsOct 23, 20126 Pages
Sociology is one of the only few subjects that everyone can relate to. The term sociology means “the science or study of the origin, development, organization, and functioning of human society” (Dictionary). The reason that everyone can relate to sociology is because throughout a person’s day, they do many of the same things professional sociologists do. Some of these things include observing how other people act within a group and their surroundings. The only difference between someone who is not a sociologist and an actual sociologist is that sociologists take one step further by analyzing data through graphs and charts to effectively understand human nature. Although I am not a sociologist, I tend to observe people on a daily basis, just because it is what I am used to. One place that I observe people is in the Oakton Community College Ray Herstein campus. This college is diverse, with many different racial and ethnic groups. One particular place I spend most of my time at is in the computer lab. The atmosphere in the computer lab is interesting because there are usually two different types of people. One type is the students who are usually stressed, trying to work on their homework, and trying to pass their classes. On the other hand, there are people who go to the computer lab to socialize, be loud, and act obnoxious. In order to effectively observe the people around me, I used a popular method of sociology called ethnography. Ethnography is when you observe and participate in a group. In this case, the computer lab is the group of people that I am observing, while also participating by taking notes for this essay. While I was in the computer lab on May 2nd, 2012 at 10:22 A.M., I noticed that there were about forty to fifty people present. About 65% was female, and the other 35% was male. Majority of the people present were teenagers, but there were some

More about Things Fall Apart Reflection Essay

Open Document