Should Same-Sex Marriage Be Legalized? Essay

985 Words4 Pages
Chrystal M. English 101 Mr. Walker 17 April 2014 Should Same-Sex Marriage be Legalized? On townhall.com an ongoing poll with live results on the issue of traditional marriage vs. gay marriage states that out of 86,802 voters, 81% voted in support of traditional marriage while the other 19% voted for gay marriage. Legalization of same-sex marriage is a very controversial topic in the world today with many people in support and opposition of same-sex marriages. There are pros and cons on each side of these arguments. Some of the most argued points would be: the protection of the unity of marriage, constitutional rights and amendments, and protection of children. One of the most argued points in favor of and opposing same-sex marriage would be the protection of the unity of marriage itself. According to people who are opposed to same-sex marriage, marriage is a sacred unity between a man and a woman as defined by the Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary as, “[joining] as husband [man] and wife [woman] according to law or custom” (699). James Kellard from Greenhaven Press argues, For many years a wife was considered the property of her husband. For generations, royal families would marry their children off for diplomatic reasons, even ‘lower class’ families would marry their daughters off to wealthy and/or powerful families so that they may reap the benefits. Many countries still have arranged marriages… [For these reasons it] appears that marriage is not exactly as ‘sacred’ an institution as some would like to think. (par. 4) This shows the major controversy between each side of the argument. However, when dealing with constitutional rights, things get a little more heated. The United States Congress passed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 (par. 2). This act is actually a federal law which denies federal recognition of same-sex marriages. It also
Open Document