Psychodynamic Theories Essay

2137 Words9 Pages
Psychodynamic Theories Psychodynamic theories are those propounded by Sigmund Freud, which further describe the conflict among instincts, reasons, and conscience. Although many different psychodynamic theories exist, they all emphasize unconscious motives and desires, as well as the importance of childhood experiences in shaping personality. Psychodynamic theory is a view that explains personality in terms of conscious and unconscious forces, such as unconscious desires and beliefs. Psychoanalytic Theory The psychoanalytic theory focuses on the role of experiences, the unconscious, and emotions that shape one’s personality. It is based on three main assumptions: 1. Personality is governed by unconscious forces that we cannot control. 2. Childhood experiences play a significant role in determining adult personality. 3. Personality is shaped by the manner in which children cope with sexual urges. According to psychoanalytic theory, personalities arise because of attempts to resolve conflicts between unconscious sexual and aggressive impulses and societal demands to restrain these impulses. The Iceberg Theory The metaphor of an iceberg helps in the understanding of Freud's topographical theory. Only a small amount 10% of the iceberg is visible (conscious awareness) whereas the other 90% is beneath the water made up of subconscious and the unconscious. The subconscious is approximately 15% and the Unconscious is 75% Level of Consciousness Conscious Our conscious mind is our state of being, our everyday living reality thinking it is how we respond to our environment. Our conscious mind includes everything that we are aware of, our living conscious reality. This is the aspect of our mental processing that we can think and talk about rationally. It includes thoughts and feelings we are fully aware of. Restriction demanded by the superego.
Open Document