Into to Speech 1301
Tuesday & Thursday 7:30 PM Class (Revise)
The National Prohibition Act AKA The Volstead Act
A) Attention Getter- Imagine going to happy hour without any alcohol being available, imagine not being able to enjoy a sporting event with some form alcohol, Imagine the super bowl commercial Frogs Saying Pe-EP-Si instead of Budweiser.
B) Preview Statement – Well this all was a reality with The National Prohibition act. This act was pushed by many religious organizations such as the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Im going to explain how they thought this act was a going to cure to our countrie’s illnesses, crime and finances.
Main Point 1 The primary target for ridding alchol was to reduce Crime
• But The restriction of alcohol created a demand and wealthy gangsters.
• They utilize the need of alcohol as a business opportunity and started illegally producing and transporting Alcohol.
• The violent criminals sustained a sophisticated operation due to the finances they received from bootlegging. Helped hide, bribe and transport better.
• Just all like all businesses, a successful idea comes expansion to increase profit, and this is contributed to the murder rate increase as the “gangsters” started to fight over control and territory.
B) With all the wealth made by the modern day robin hoods, many Americans started to change their view on prohibition, as they saw how much the economy and society suffered without the legalization of alcohol.
Main Point 2 The Great Depression was solitified with the decrease of income from the taxation of alcohol. The country relies on every tax it creates and once the country starts to reduce taxes, the economy faces a domino effect financially.
• The beginning of the Great Depression In the late 1920’s caused a huge change in American opinion about Prohibition.
• The Economy’s...