Parmenter Case

1296 Words6 Pages
On April 15th, 1920, Frederick A. Parmenter and Alessandro Berardelli were murdered while walking down Pearl Street in South Braintree, Massachusetts. Parmenter and Berardelli both worked at the Slater and Morill Shoe Factory. Parmenter was the man who handed out the wages in cash to the workers every week. Berardelli was Parmenter’s guard. On that day, Parmenter was carrying two metal boxes that contained almost sixteen thousand dollars in cash to hand out to the workers (Monroe 7). As the two men were walking, another two men were watching Parmenter and Berardelli as they walked past. Then, one of the men grabbed at Berardelli while the other man fired his pistol, putting three bullets into Berardelli and one into Parmenter. Parmenter…show more content…
Michael Stewart started the case. The witnesses were taken in for questioning. Some of them stated that the bandits were Italian. A fur cap was found on Pearl Street near the crime scene on the night of April 16th. It was rumored that the cap was Nicola Sacco’s. A couple days later, the getaway car was found in the nearby woods. The police received a phone call from Mrs. Simon Johnson on May 5th, 1920. She explained how her husband owned a garage in nearby Bridgewater, and how four Italian men were there. They wanted to know if they could pick up an old stored car. Mr. Johnson had refused, saying that the license plates needed to be updated. Two of the men left on a motorcycle. The other two walked several blocks to catch a streetcar. Those last to men were Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti (Monroe 8-9). Two policemen followed the car and soon found Sacco and Vanzetti. The police arrested them both and were searched because they were suspicious of why they had come to Mr. Johnson’s garage to claim a car. They found a loaded .38 Harrington and Richardson revolver and some loose ammunition on Vanzetti. Sacco was found with a loaded .32 Colt automatic and extra ammunition (Monroe 9). When Sacco and Vanzetti asked the police why they had been arrested, they did not tell the two men the reason. All the police told them were that they were “suspicious characters”. They did not know why they were taken to the county…show more content…
They were the closest people from the car when the murder happened. None of the witnesses were able to identify Sacco long after his arrest. The police never formed a line-up to recognize Sacco. All seven people could not identify him. A cap was found at the scene of the crime and was said to be Sacco’s, however, Sacco claimed he had never owned that cap with earlaps. He also tried on the hat in court and clearly looked like it did not fit him. It could have belonged to a person who gathered around the scene of the crime right after it happened. Sacco was indeed gone from work that day, but claimed he was picking up a passport from the Italian consulate. After getting the passport, he went to a restaurant in Boston. Several witnesses were able to confirm seeing him at the restaurant. The day Sacco was arrested; he denied his recent whereabouts, anarchist beliefs, and radical beliefs. Later at the trial though, Sacco admitted to these falsehoods. He said he feared telling the truth about his beliefs because he did not want to get

More about Parmenter Case

Open Document