Music Piracy Arguement Speech

1367 Words6 Pages
Music Piracy Specific Purpose: to inform my audience about the positive and negative effects of piracy on the music industry. Central Idea: Piracy has revolutionized the music industry. Introduction I. How many people here have downloaded music illegally? a. According to the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic industry) digital Music Report from 2008, only 5% of all music downloads are paid for. The other 95% are pirated. b. Piracy has taken over the digital music industry. II. My name is Theresa, and I am here to talk to you about how piracy has taken over the digital music industry III. Piracy has revolutionized the digital music industry. Specifically, I would like to discuss: A. The effects of piracy on the revenue of the music industry B. The consequences of music piracy on the individual C. The perspective of musicians on the issue Body I. There have been many claims that since music piracy began the profits of the music industry have significantly declined. A. Statistics state that the trade value of the U.S music market decreased 10.7% in 2009 due to the up rise in piracy. (IFPI Report) 1. In the 2011 IFPI report, under section 14 “Digital Piracy- Facts and Trends” it is stated, “Despite the surge by more than 1000% in the digital music market from 2004-2010, an estimated value of $4.6 billion, global recorded music revenues declined by 31% over the same period. The two figures powerfully illustrate how, in the face of piracy, even the most progressive strategy of licensing hundreds of digital music services has been unable to prevent the steady decline in the overall legitimate music market and that decline will continue unless action is taken.” B. The same database continues to give statistics about how there has been a steady decline in profits through album release and

More about Music Piracy Arguement Speech

Open Document