Kangri Cancer Essay

5716 WordsJul 31, 201223 Pages
Genetic alterations in FGFR3 and RAS reveal mutual exclusiveness of these genetic events in urinary bladder cancer. A study in Kashmiri population. Arshad A Pandith1, Zafar A Shah1, Saleem M Wani2, Siddiqi M 1* ______________________________________________________________________________ Arshad A. Pandith1, Zafar A Shah1, Nighat P Khan2, M. Saleem Wani3, Mushtaq A. Siddiqi1* __________________________________________________________________ Departments of 1Immunology and Molecular Medicine, 2Clinical Biochemistry, Department of Urology3Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura, Srinagar, Kashmir, INDIA. _________________________________________________________________ Abstract Urinary bladder cancer is a common malignancy in the west and ranks 7th most cancer in this region. FGFR3 mutations are frequent in superficial urothelial cell carcinoma (UCC) while as RAS gene mutations are also found in UCC but its mutational pattern is not same as FGFR3 mutations. Thus aim of this study was to analyze the frequency and association of FGFR3 and RAS gene mutations in UCC. The paired tumor and adjacent normal tissue specimens of 65 consecutive patients were examined in Kashmiri population, India. The DNA preparations were evaluated for the occurrence of FGFR3 and RAS gene mutations by PCR-SCCP and DNA sequencing. Somatic point mutations of FGFR3 gene identified in cases aggregated to 32.30% (21 of 65). The pattern and distribution of FGFR3 mutations were significantly associated with low grade/stage as compared to high grade and stage (p<0.05). The overall mutations in exon 1 and 2 of all the forms of RAS genes aggregated to 21.5% and showed no association with any clinic-pathological parameters. In total, 53.8% (35 of 65) of the tumours studied had mutation of either a RAS or FGFR3 gene. Examination of the distribution of RAS

More about Kangri Cancer Essay

Open Document