Jupiter Research Paper

1024 Words5 Pages
Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system, the 5th from the Sun. It is not quite as bright as Venus when seen from Earth. Measured across, Jupiter is ten times the size of the Earth and one-tenth the size of the Sun. Like the Sun and Saturn, it is mostly hydrogen and helium. There may be a small core of rock and perhaps ice at the center. This is surrounded by an ocean of liquid hydrogen and helium in the form of a metal. Above this is a layer of liquid hydrogen and helium, and above this a thick atmosphere. Jupiter is radiating energy, possibly as a result of radioactivity. The most famous feature is the Great Red Spot, which may be a huge storm in the atmosphere. If so it must be quite a storm, as it has been recorded for 300 years!…show more content…
The four largest of these were seen by Galileo when he made one of the first telescopes. The way they moved round the planet convinced him that the old idea, that everything moves round the Earth, must be wrong. The following was kindly contributed by Russell Odell The sun contains 99.9 percent of the mass in the solar system. The remaining 0.1 percent make up the other planets and their moons, and Jupiter took most of that mass. If Jupiter were a shell, all the other planets and their moons could fit inside with room to spare. Jupiter could hold 317 of our earth's. Jupiter's diameter is 88,000 miles, thirty times the width of the United States. It orbits the sun at 8.1 miles per second (mps), or 19,160 miles per hour (mph). It is 485 million miles from the sun making it a very cold planet in the range of minus 240 degrees F. However, due to the enormous pressure of its mass, the center is estimated to be 54,000 degrees F., or five times hotter than the surface of the sun. (The interior of the sun is 40 million ºF.) The earth rotates on its axis in 24 hours establishing day and night. Jupiter rotates in 9 hours, 54 minutes, giving it the shortest day and night of any of the planets. The surface speed of the earth at its equator is a little over 1,000 mph. Jupiter's surface speed at its equator is 30,000…show more content…
Marius gave them names from mythology after the sons and daughters of the Greek gods naming them Io, Europa, Gannymede and Callisto. Later, when Marius announced his discovery he was ridiculed by the followers of the great Galileo who was a patron of the Grand Duke of Tuscany. Marius was ostracized and no one would honor the names he had given to the moons. As other moons were discovered Galileo's method of numbering prevailed over giving names to the moons. These first four moons of Jupiter are known as the Galilean Moons. However, later, to recognize the work of Marius, the names he gave the moons are the names we know them by

More about Jupiter Research Paper

Open Document