It brought a lot of jobs to the west and also brought immigrants. When the gold rush first started people flocked to California to get a part in the rush. The strongest men from every city left their homes to find wealth. The people who made it to California first found plentiful gold, but it was hard work, and there were many people trying to get the gold. Immigrants form all over the world came to find instant wealth, so during the rush California became the most diverse state in the country.
The reason why they travelled to west California was because of the gold rush, in 1848 gold was unintentionally discovered in west of California: this quickly reached the eastern people and then after the rest of the world. Many men left ports in America and Europe bound for California, many of this men weren’t miners they simply wanted to get rich quickly. By the end of 1848 about 10,000 men were digging for gold in California. The discovery of gold in California led a lot of people to move west also the gold rush that was discovered in Idaho (1860), Montana (1862), and Arizona (1863) and later in Dakota (1874). The accidental discovery of gold in California was one of the reasons Americans moved west during 19th century because it ensured that railroads was built across America in the 1860s.
Explain why oil exploration in the areas shown could lead to high economic and environmental costs. (10) The environmental effects of oil exploitation in these areas can vary depending upon the type, position and severity, however most pose the threat of being potentially severe. The explorations are taking place in deep water areas such as the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea or the Arctic. Just one of the many potential risks and dangers of deep sea drilling is highlighted by the horizon oil rig spill of oil extracted from the sea floor. A spill in any of the deep sea areas would reduce the biodiversity of that area through reductions of bird populations, fish-stocks and populations of marine mammals.
Rockstone International Rockstone International is one of the world’s largest diamond brokers. The firm purchases rough stones and has them cut and polished for sale in the United States and Europe. The diamond business has been very profitable, and from all indications it will continue to be so. However, R. B. Randall, president and chief executive officer for Rockstone, has stressed the need for effective management decisions throughout the organization if the firm is to remain profitable and competitive. Normally, R. B. does not involve herself in personnel decisions, but today’s situation is not typical.
Considering the uncertainties in parameters like Gold price, width, length, depth of mine, grade of gold and probability of success of building a road and diamond drilling, I would suggest the owner of the mine to not to go ahead with the project. Taking historical data and owners instincts into picture, there are only 10 percent chances that he will make any profits out of the project. 90 percent chances are there that he will be in negative returns. Detailed Analysis: Gold Price: Looking at the historical data, I didn’t find any pattern in the price of gold over the years. So I simulated the price of next year by randomly selecting price of gold from the data for 10 years.
Blood Diamond Refection Kyle King The North American music, movie and clothing industry put a large focus on excitement around diamonds. Without the drama on diamonds through these Medias the market would not be nearly as big. Songs such as “Bling Bling” by rap group B.G says “Diamonds worn by everybody that’s in my clique,” promotes purchase of diamonds by hip hop fans. There should be a push to eliminate the diamond. Hip Hop artist Jay z has a song ”Diamond is Forever”, Jay z is one of the biggest names in the music industry and the most common things in his lyrics are about money, fame, and materials such as diamonds.
Air pollution is one of the severe enviromental hazards due to the extracting process of gold. A particular amount of soil is removed in order to reach ore which leads to removed vegetetation and damaged biota and leaves an arid land around the open pit. This poor soil could easily turn into dust since transfering activities and construction equipment raise vehicle density. Breathing difficulties for human and other creatures in biotope are inevitable because dust approaches a large amount and causes highly polluted air. Obtained ore by the removal of soil is not axenic therefore the yield needs to be purified by noxious substances such as lead and arsenic.
After examining the work of three main authors (Coke &Weir, 1987, Akabzaa & Darimani, 2001, and Bukvić et al. 2011) it was deduced that bauxite mining is an environmental threat because it generates a large quantity of waste matter and the disposal techniques employed do not effectively prevent toxins from being transferred into the environment. Secondly, the chemical malpractice is a major issue in the mining industry and the environment and its inhabitants continue to suffer and die from diseases caused from exposure to these toxic chemicals. The bauxite industry has serious implications on the health and continuity of the different species in the environment and major steps should be taken to reduce the impact of this industry on the environment. Bauxite deposits have been found in over sixteen countries in the world and bauxite mining has also been popular in most of these countries for centuries.
But the question that should be asked, is the treated water dumped into the sea similar to the fresh water? Of course it will not be the same, since the treated water would still have chemicals from the process of the treatment of water. In undeveloped countries, the waste water is dumped immediately without even treating them. This is one of the most dangerous things that can transmit diseases through the whole community. The second main cause of water pollution is the industrial waste.
Countries who export will receive gold while countries who import goods result in outflow of gold. Therefore, the more a country exports, the wealthier is the country. In order to maintain a trade surplus, subsidies were provided to maximize exports and tariffs and quotas were set up to minimize imports. (c) How do the mercantilists’ views on trade differ from those of Adam Smith? Mercantilists viewed trade as a zero-sum game where one country gains in the expense of another country.