Emotional Intelligence Essay

3340 Words14 Pages
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Matters More Than IQ Annie Monninger University of St. Francis Capstone Project March 26, 2010 Emotional Intelligence: Why It Matters Literature Review In 1995, a psychologist and science journalist for the New York Times introduced a concept that would shake the world of academia and eventually that of corporate America and public education. Challenging the idea that IQ determines success, an idea that has been around since World War I, Daniel Goleman introduced the concept of EQ, or emotional intelligence as a main determinant for “what it means to be smart” (1) . Arguing that IQ was too narrow to determine true success, (6) Goleman suggested that each individual can manage their own emotions, and thus manage their relationship with others, thereby determining the outcome of each interaction. While hardly dismissing IQ altogether, Goleman instead suggests that EQ only adds to one’s IQ, taking into consideration skills such as self-awareness, emotional mastery, motivation, empathy, and social effectiveness (2). In the fifteen years that have passed since the introduction of Goleman’s concept, the buzz surrounding it has not faded but only grown more intense. Businesses have adopted EQ as a model for success, while education has embraced the concept as well. Holding to the idea that emotions mold human experience and biology, Goleman suggests that these once “soft skills” must now be embraced in a “hard” environment, whether that environment is a Fortune 500 company or a public school. High EQ has been found to make individuals highly effective in interactive areas of life despite IQ capacity. “At best, IQ contributes about 20 percent to the factors that determine life success, which leaves 80 percent to other forces” (1). This idea is further supported by research: eighty to ninety percent of very effective people have

More about Emotional Intelligence Essay

Open Document