Name: ______________________________________ Date: ________________________
Student Exploration: Circuit Builder
Vocabulary: circuit, closed circuit, conductor, current, fuse, insulator, open circuit, parallel circuit, series circuit, short circuit
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.)
1. What do a light bulb, a toaster, a radio, and a computer all have in common?
2. Suppose you connect a battery to a small light bulb with a single wire. What do you think will happen? Explain your answer.
Gizmo Warm-up: Build a circuit
1. Using the Standard components in the upper left of the Gizmo™, try to get a light bulb to light up! You can drag as many bulbs, wires, batteries, switches and fuses as you like onto the circuit board.
A circuit is a path containing easily moveable charges. When the light bulb lights up, charges (electrons) are flowing through the wire and light bulb. This flow of charge is called current.
2. Now try to light the bulb with the smallest number of components.
Make a sketch of your simple circuit in this space:
3. Based on what you have seen, what must be true for a circuit to light a bulb? ____________
|Activity A: |Get the Gizmo ready: |[pic] |
| |Click Clear. | |
|Closing a circuit |Turn on Show current. (Current is represented by moving...