* Was born on the 31 of august AD 161 at Lanuvium
* Commodus was one of fourteen children
* He was the only one to survive childhood
* He had a twin brother that died
* He was made caeser at the age of five, to rule alongside his dad (AD 166) Kind of like a junior emperor.
* His father was Marcus Aurelius
* In AD 177, at the age of 16 he was made Augustus by Marcus Aurelius making him a joint emperor
* Even though he was emperor at AD 177, everyone saw Marcus Aurelius as the true emperor
* “Commodus indeed led the troops in the wars on the Danube together with his father from AD 178, until the death of Marcus Aurelius in AD 180” (www.roman-empire.net)
* “His father died, possibly of the plague” (www.roman-emperors.org)
* He took the throne once his father died
* “By all accounts Commodus was a handsome man, with curly blonde hair. But he appeared to possess a weak character and was easily influenced by others. But so too was he prone to cruelty and excessive behaviour” http://www.roman-empire.net/highpoint/commodus.html
* Commodus was liked by the people, but hated by the senate
* “Commodus began to dress like the god Hercules, wearing lion skins and carrying a club” (www.roman-emperors.org)
* He withdrew the roman army from the borders that Marcus Aurelius conquered.
* Commodus uncovered a plot to kill him in AD 182
* There was an attempted assassination on his life, by Quintianus, that was stopped
* Had his sister, Annia Lucilla executed for conspiring against him
* Quintianus (the assassin) and Tarrutenius Paternus (a conspirer) were also put to death.
* “Commodus took little interest in the day-to-day running of government” (www.roman-empire.net)
* Commodus spent most of his time entertaining his harem of 300 women and 300 children.
* Commodus became suspicious of Perennis, the perfect that was running the...