Child development project
Principles of development…
To plan for children’s play and learning it is essential that you know what they are likely to be able to do. This will change according to their age and stage of development. From birth to teenage years age children and young people tend to follow a broad development pattern. Here are some principles of child development and learning:
1. All areas of development and learning are important.
2. Learning and development follow sequences.
3. Development and learning proceed at varying rates.
4. Development and learning result from an interaction of maturation and experience.
5. Early experiences have profound effects on development and learning.
6. Development proceeds toward greater complexity, self-regulation, and symbolic or representational capacities.
7. Children develop best when they have secure relationships.
8. Development and learning occur in and are influenced by multiple social and cultural contexts.
9. Children learn in a variety of ways.
10. Play is an important vehicle for developing self-regulation and promoting language, cognition, and social competence.
11. Development and learning advance when children are challenged.
12. Children’s experiences shape their motivation and approaches to learning.
The term development refers to not only the physical side but also the skills and knowledge that they are developing. Child development is divided into the following areas:
1. Physical development – this is learning about how to master physical movements.
2. Cognitive development – this is also known as intellectual development. It is a huge area, as it encompasses the way in which the brain processes information.
3. Communication and language development – this area of development is about learning to communicate with other people and understanding their communications.
4. Social and emotional development – this area of development is about...