Mossy Creek was organized in 1767. Staunton's Presbyterians were initially affiliated with Tinkling Spring or Hebron, as were those in Waynesboro. In 1818 Presbyterian Church was erected in Staunton; one was built in Waynesboro in 1847. Later Presbyterian churches in the county included Union (1817), Shemariah (1832), Mt. Carmel (1835), Mt.
A private company with Governor William Moultrie as president and General Francis Marion as a director was charted by the state in 1786 to help with this task. From 1793 to 1800, Laborers worked hard clearing the way with only axes and shovels connecting Charleston and the Santee River. The twenty-two mile long canal was used as a route for cotton barges for fifty years until there was a working railway between Charleston and Columbia. A route by water remained a fascination. T.C.
The Fight for Equality William Apess served in the War of 1812 after escaping from being an indentured servant. After the war, he resided in Canada but returned to Connecticut in 1818. In 1821, William Apess married his wife, Mary Wood, who had also been an indentured servant, and together they had three children. Apess was appointed by the Protestant Methodist Church as minister in 1829, where he served until 1830. Apess was then sent to preach to the Pequots, an American Indian tribe who originated from southern New England, in 1831 by the New York Annual Conference of Protestant Methodists.
She had a small hut on the Hill, but was actually a “squatter,” having taken possession of land that belonged to a Mr. Thomas F. McKeen. In 1874, Alfred Cramer and Joseph McMasters bought sixteen acres of McKeen’s land and laid out a town plan. That same year, they built the first house and store near what is now the corner of Federal Street and Westfield Avenue, and Alfred Cramer moved in, becoming the first legally recognized resident of the town. The area was eventually named after Mr. Cramer. 2 The neighborhood has been a close-knit one for many years.
A lot of historical architectures exist in the Westport Road because the city is started by Isaac McCoy, who built the first town in the Westport in 1831. Why he built the town in Westport is missionary to the Indians. He lived on December 28, 1831 with his family. After few years, the son of Isaac, John Calvin McCoy, built a trading post at 444 Westport Road and Pennsylvania. It soon came to be a general store to service fur traders, mountain men, Indians, and area famers.
INTRODUCTION BY KEN KELLER, PRESENT PASTOR OF HOLY FAMILY, NAZARETH, TEXAS: THE FAITH FORCE OF NAZARETH, TEXAS –“PIONEER PASTORS” & “75 YEARS: BENEDICTINE SISTER SAGAS” The “nucleus of Nazareth” is the faith community known as Holy Family Catholic Parish. This soul of Nazareth was envisioned by its pioneering priest-colonizer 110 years ago when he centrally located its church home, but it has been experienced, expanded and energized throughout the history of this rural German-American community in the Panhandle of Texas. “Nucleus” was defined as a word 250 years ago meaning “central part or thing, about which others cluster”. That word has defined Holy Family’s relationship to Nazareth since church members have consistently made
Having a standard childhood, Brown attended a grammar school, but then withdrew due to the reason of his family moving to Edinburgh. The year after Brown and his family relocated, Browns father who was a Minister in Scottish Episcopal Church passed
In the fall of 1830 some missionaries went out and preached to people New York, Delaware, Ohio and Missouri. They converted hundreds of people to the Church of Christ. The Church was set up in Kirtland, Ohio. Many of the original followers from New York moved to Ohio where they built the first temple. God told Joseph that they would “receive their inheritance and establish Zion” in Missouri (The Church of Latter-day Saints).
After the death of his first wife, Dorsey left secular and began writing and recording what he called “gospel music” (Harris). He was the first to use a word that would later birth an entire genere (Darden). Dorsey served as Music Director of the church until the late