Round 3 Review Terms
Virginia colony (Jamestown)- 1607
* Disease ridden, swampy, contaminated water
* Mostly young men in their 20s searching for gold all day
* Starving Time (1609-1610)- Colonists die off due to lack of food and insufficient shelter
* Captain John Smith, "Thou who shall not work shall not eat."
* John Rolfe - Started to grow and sell American tobacco (sold well in England)
* Virginia Company (London Company)- Joint stock company wanting more colonization
* House of Burgesses - First Colonial House of Representatives/ Colonial Assembly
* They had control of most of the colonies money
* Headright - 50 acres of land given to anyone who paid their voyage to the New World
* Indentured Servitude - Option for people who could not pay for their journey to America
* Forced to work on a farm or plantation for 7 years and then they were free
* Owners worked them very hard because they only had them for 7 years
New England colony (Plymouth)-
* Catholics/ Puritans leave England for Netherlands (want religious freedom)
* They didn't want their children to become Dutch --> Left for America
* William Bradford was elected Governor 49 times (only wanted Puritans in the colony)
* NAs help them to survive off of the land (fishing, planting, hunting, etc.)
Mayflower Compact- Governing document made for Plymouth while on the Mayflower, Direct Democracy.
Puritan Belief- John Winthrop - Leader of Massachusetts Bay Colony, Puritan, "City upon a hill" As governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, Winthrop (1588-1649) was instrumental in forming the colony's government and shaping its legislative policy. He envisioned the colony, centered in present-day Boston, as a "city upon a hill" from which Puritans would spread religious righteousness throughout the world.
Deism- Belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe.