Chapter 1 – “Discovery and Settlement of the New World”
Founding of St. Augustine (1565)
Founding of Roanoke (1585)
Founding of Jamestown (1607)
Founding of Virginia House of Burgesses (1619)
First Africans arrive in British Colonies (1619)
Mayflower Compact written (1620)
End of Anglo-Powhatan Wars (1644)
King Philip’s War (1678)
Height of First Great Awakening (1730s-1740s)
French and Indian War unofficially begins (1754)
Treaty of Paris ends F&I War (1763)
• Name at least three factors which enabled the Spanish to conquer both the Aztecs and the Incas.
• What were the similarities and differences between indentured servants and slaves?
• Discuss the connections between the following:
➢ Virginia House of Burgesses
➢ Mayflower Compact
➢ Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
➢ Maryland’s Act of Toleration
• Explain the differences between royal, proprietary, and corporate colonies.
• Discuss the social and economic impacts of mercantilism in the British North American colonies.
• Compare/contrast the Puritans and the Quakers.
• Explain how geography affected the settlement of the New England, the Middle Colonies, and the Southern Colonies.
• Identify and explain at least one significant cause AND at least one significant effect of the First Great Awakening.
• How had the status of European rivals in North America changed as a result of the Treaty of Paris (1763)?
Chapter 2 – “Independence and Nation Building”
Proclamation of 1763
Stamp Act/Stamp Act Congress (1765)
Boston Massacre (1770)
Intolerable Acts (1774)
First Continental Congress (1774)
Lexington and Concord (1775)
Paine’s Common Sense (1776)
Declaration of Independence (1776)
British surrender at Yorktown (1781)
Treaty of Paris (1783)
Shays’ Rebellion (1786)
Northwest Ordinance (1787)
Constitution written (1787)
Judiciary Act of 1789
Bill of Rights ratified (1791)
Whiskey Rebellion (1794)...