90/10 Principle Essay

943 Words4 Pages
The 90/10 Principle Click to advance Author: Stephen Covey Discover the 90/10 Principle It will change your life (or at least, the way you react to situations) What is this Principle? 10% of life is made up of what happens to you. …90% of life is decided by how you react… What does this mean? We really have NO control over 10% of what happens to us. We cannot stop the car from breaking down. The plane will be late arriving, which throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in the traffic. We have NO control over this 10%. The other 90% is different. You determine the other 90%. How?... By your reaction. You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction. Do not let people fool you. YOU can control how you react. Let us use an example… You are having breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee Onto your business shirt. You have no control over what has just happened. What happens next will be determined by how you react. You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your wife and you criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows. You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish her breakfast and getting ready to go to school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school. Because you are late, you drive 40 miles per hour in a 30 mph speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing $60.00 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20 minute late, You realize you forgot your briefcase. Your day

More about 90/10 Principle Essay

Open Document