Cite three things that you learned
• It’s easier for a person to swim in salty water because it makes us flow in water higher density.
• The salinity affects water movement. The differences in the density of water cause currents to move.
• Characteristics of water.
What do you think?
1. What impurity particles are larger, the one causing the water to be cloudy or the one causing the water to smell? Explain
• The one causing to be cloudy are larger. In fact they are generally larger than the spaces between the small sand grains; thus they got trapped and separated out by the sand filtration.
2. What is a flocculants? What is the purpose of adding aluminum sulfate and calcium hydroxide in steps 2 and 3? Write pertinent balanced equations.
• A flocculants is a soluble material that is added to a glaze to increase the viscosity (thickness) and increase the time it takes for the glaze to settle. The water molecules being more attracted to themselves than to either the oil molecules or the molecules making up the large sediment particles. When we add adding aluminum sulfate and calcium , This makes the substances immiscible; that is, it keeps the oil and the sediments from dissolving in the water
• Al2(SO4)3 + 3 Ca(OH)2 = 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 CaSO4
3. What is activated carbon and why is it used for water purification?
• Activated carbon is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for adsorption or chemical reaction. Activated carbon used for home water treatment typically contain either granular activated carbon (GAC) or powdered block carbon.
4. Since activated carbon did the best job of purifying water, why did you waste time doing the first two procedures: sedimentation and sad filtration? Should you simply add charcoal filter?
• Carbon has a large convoluted surface area upon which absorption of very small impurity particles can occur. Had the foul water been poured directly into...