Paragraph development by listing
Sentence function in paragraph development
Most successful paragraphs usually contain some combination of these four sentence types:
1. Paragraph introducers: which are sentences that establish the topic focus of the paragraph as a whole.
2. Paragraph developers: which present examples or details of various kinds that support the ideas set forth by the paragraph introducers.
3. Viewpoint or context modulators: which are sentences that provide a smooth transition between different sets of ideas.
4. Paragraph terminators: which logically conclude the ideas discussed in the paragraph in a psychologically satisfying manner.
Each sentence in the paragraph contains a key idea. The key idea can be expressed in a short phrase often using key words appearing in the sentences.
Paragraph development by examples
- In preparing scientific reports of laboratory experiments, findings must be presented in logical order and clear language in order to receive good evaluation of work.
- To write successful answers to essay questions on history or anthropology, the relevant facts and opinion must be arranged according to some accepted pattern of paragraph structure.
- In scientific reports, style and organization are often as important as content. Moreover, skill in expository writing is crucial to successful achievement.
Essay development by examples
The basic "topic, example, and restatement" sentences in paragraph plan can be extended to provide the plan for an essay also consisting three parts;
1. Topic paragraph that introduces the main idea of whole essay.
2. One or more example paragraph, each on of which presents a main point with its supporting details.
3. A restatement paragraph: that once focuses attention on the main idea of the topic paragraph.
Paragraph development by comparison
- A comparison paragraph compares...