What will happen if you put one package of mentos into water, vinegar, or diet coke respectively?
Initial Observation and Research:
Water, vinegar, and diet coke are different in their composition.
One package of mentos + regular water = no reaction
One package of mentos + vinegar = some bubble created
One package of mentos + diet coke = an eruption is created with lots of mentos
Material and Supply:
1L of water, 1.5 L of vinegar, 2L of diet coke, some stick, 3 packages of mentos, some business cards, some regular paper
1. A tube was made by rolling a piece of paper and stick.
2. One of the tube’s two sides was covered by a student’s hand. One package of mentos was put into the tube.
3. One kind of liquid was opened (vinegar).
4. A business card was put between the bottom of the tube and the top of the liquid.
5. The business card was held by a student, and the tube was held by another student.
6. The business card was pulled out.
7. The student who held the tube waited for all mentos to run into the liquid and ran.
8. All students waited and saw the reaction.
9. The liquid was changed.
10. The procedure 2 to 8 was repeated.
Observation and Data:
When one package of mentos was thrown into the 1.5L vinegar, no reaction happened. When one package of mentos was thrown into the 1L water, no reaction happened.
When one package of mentos was thrown into the 2L diet coke, a big eruption was occurred.
From the result of this experiment, my hypothesis wasn’t exactly correct. When the package of mentos was put into the vinegar, there was no reaction.
Summary and Conclusion:
The reaction (eruption) was only produced by putting mentos into diet coke. The reason why it happened so is as follow:
According to the information from the Internet, the caffeine, potassium benzoate, aspartame, and CO2 gas contained in the Diet Coke and the gelatin and gum arabic ingredients of the Mentos all contribute to...