Diagnostic Maths 11B for Item 1A:
1. Find the median of the distribution below:
2. The data shown below is the weight gain in children over a 1 year period. Find:
a) The mean
b) The modal class
c) The median
3. The spelling errors in 18 essays were recorded as follows:
12 16 8 27 33 16 20 44 7 17 31 22 58 29 48 52 3 37
a) Construct a stemplot for this data
b) Draw a box-whisker plot of the spelling errors
(show all steps of working and DO NOT use a graphics calculator)
4. Use stratified sampling to determine how many year 10 students should be sampled if 30 students are to be chosen from 120 year 8’s, 150 year 9’s and 100 year 10’s.
5. Find the gradient of a line with an angle of inclination of 52 degrees.
6. State the x and y intercepts and the gradient of the line 3x +2y +9 = 0
7. Find the equation of a line going through points (-1,3) and (3,5) and state whether the function is increasing or decreasing.
8. Find the standard form of the equation of the line passing through the point (-1,2) and which is parallel to a line with a slope of -5.
9. Find the equation of a line that passes through (2,7) which is parallel to the line y = x
10. Find the Domain and Range for the function below:
11. Use your graphics calculator to graph:
F(x) = 3x-1x-2
a) Find the Domain and Range
b) Is this a function? Justify your answer
12. The Manager of a camping ground plans to build a path from the shop to the cooking facilities. What distance will the path have to cover?
13. Two yachts A and B subtend an angle of 60 degrees at the base C of a cliff as shown in the diagram above. From Yacht A the angle of elevation of the point P, 100 metres vertically above C is 20 degrees. Yacht B is 600 metres from C. Calculate the...