Name:____________________________________________________________ Date:________________ Per. ______
Std.4 Skin Disorders and Burns Web-Quest
* Students will be able to describe the three most common forms of skin cancer
* Students will be able to describe the three classes of burns and the priorities in burn treatment.
Directions: Go to http://olympianscience.pbworks.com → Anatomy → Quick links → Skin Disorder Web-Quest: Click on the links below and complete the following questions. Upload completed document to period folders.
Activity I Link http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information
1. Define skin cancer: the uncontrolled growth of abnormal skin cells.
2. Summarize the symptoms of skin cancer. Triggers mutations, or genetic defects, that lead the skin cells to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors.
3. Identify 3 features (symptoms) of skin cancer.
4. Find an image of the following types of carcinoma:
Basal Cell Carcinoma | Squamous Cell Carcinoma | Malignant Melanoma |
| | |
5. Identify the causes for each type of skin cancer below:
* Basal Cell Carcinoma – Cumulative exposure and intense occasional UV exposure to the UV rays
* Squamous Cell Carcinoma – Exposure to UV rays over the course of ones lifetime
* Malignant Melanoma –Genetics, number of moles, skin type, heredity, and unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells trigger mutations that lead the skin to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors
6. Summarize: What are the risk factors for developing skin cancer? How can skin cancer be prevented?
It can be prevented by limiting to much exposure with UV rays, using sunscreen, avoiding full body skin tans, wear protective clothing. Risk factors could be an allergic reaction to sun exposure, getting tattoos, smoking, tanning,
Activity 2 Link...