Guiding Principles of Governance
1. Leadership is Key:
* Need to select honest and capable leadership to maintain stability and ensure that Singapore continues to grow.
* Leaders need to have the moral courage and integrity make right decisions and not popular ones.
* Good leaders do not occur by chance. They need to be selected and groomed.
* Besides having talent and ability, leaders also need to be incorruptible.
2. Anticipate Change and Stay Relevant:
* Need to look, plan ahead and anticipate future challenges to be prepared for challenging times.
* Resources also need to be safeguarded for the future.
* Have to be open to new ideas and risk-taking in order to stay relevant in a global world.
* Be resilient in changing world conditions to capture growing markets.
* NEWater was created to ensure that Singapore will be self-sufficient when our water agreements with Malaysia end.
* The integrated resorts were also constructed to promote the tourism industry.
* Singaporeans are also encouraged to be innovative and creative.
3. Reward for Work & Work for Reward:
* Principle of meritocracy which rewards hard work and talent and encourages people to do well.
* Gives everybody in the society an equal opportunity to achieve their best and be rewarded for their performance.
* Bursaries, scholarships and money packages are given out to encourage Singaporeans to do well.
* Surpluses from good economic growth are also given out to reward Singaporeans.
4. A Stake for Everyone, Opportunities for All:
* Principle of transparency which involves people in decision making.
* Many people were against the building of the casinos in Singapore as it may lead to an increase in divorce rates, breakup of families and crime.
* Thus, the government took feedback and imposed stringent social safeguards for the casino.
Managing Traffic in Singapore
1. Area Licensing Scheme: