English; a window to the world
Problems in learning English
A language is either learned or acquired
When the acquisition is a gift of exposure, learning needs much effort and practice.
On taking in to account the importance of English it’s rightly said that one without English is almost dump to the world.
Learning is possible only in a favorable situation, created by the learners themselves and that mainly depends on their attitude towards the language .Attitude is the master magician. It is the thing which decides whether one can be happy or not, a thing is easy or not, possible or impossible etc etc
If so what can be the role of a teacher in the learning process?
Yes, she can be the guide, the motivator, the source of encouragement, a supporter and an ever remembering star in a student’s life and success..
Dear sir, keeping these things in mind, and the experiences I have had so far from here let me put forward the following suggestions to improve the present scenario of the class room
• Making a link between the curriculum and the language. This demands much cooperation and assistance from the medical teaching staff for like conducting mock viva, selecting topic for presentation, helping them in answering to the point etc.
• Conducting group wise or roll no wise programmes every day via intercoms.
• Each student should face the entire campus at least two times during their course of study.
• An intense coaching on public speaking
• Coaching on etiquette and manners
• Provision for a well equipped language lab and special coaching only for the interested candidates
• Video coverage to monitor the performance of the students
• As the negative responses are more from linguistically weak students I suggest grading the students as per their performance in language both inside and outside the class room.