Comprehension Lesson Plan
Teacher: Aretha Austin
Grade: First Grade
Subject: Reading Comprehension
Skills: Reading and Listening Comprehension
Goals and Objectives:
* The students will be able to listen, read and comprehend a short story in a book.
* The students will be able to retell main points in a story in the order they happened, (first, next and last).
* The book, “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” written by Eric Carle
* 20 copies of, “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” for the students,
* 20 or more pieces of writing paper for the students
* 20 or more copies of the “The Very Hungry Caterpillar Song“by Amanda Ellis
* The teacher will begin by expressing to the students that they are going to be learning and reading about a very hungry caterpillar.
* Afterward, the teacher will explain to the students that they are going to learn the reason why the caterpillar was so hungry and why it ate so much.
* For a brief moment, the teacher will explain to the student that they will need to remember the most important points in the story.
First off, the teacher will read the first chapter of the book to the students and teach them the first verse of the song. Following, the teacher will discuss with the students what happened in the opening chapter. For all the other chapters, the teacher will continue reading to the students and teaching them how to learn the song.
Once the book has been completed and the students have sung all of the verses to the song, the teacher will talk about /discuss what happened in the story from the beginning to end and have the class sing all the verses of the song together.
Afterward, the teacher will let the students pair-up with another student and write their own short story and share/retell it to or with each other.
Closure and Assessment:
The teacher will finish the lesson by having the...