Know the statutory responsibilities and rights of employees and employers within own area of work.
List the aspects/areas of employment covered by law? (e.g. holiday entitlement, anti discrimination provision, sickness, data protection, Criminal Record Bureau Checks, etc)
Paid Holidays, rest breaks, no unlawful deductions from wages, national minimal wage, not to be discriminated against, protection by the Health and Safety Laws, redundancy and dismissal, training, disciplinary procedures, union rights, consultations, CRB & Data Protections
List the main features of current employment legislation and why this legislation exists?
Employment law in the UK covers 3 main areas
1. Employer’s rights - these exist to make sure you get the minimum wage and covered by the law of legislation.
2. Equality and discrimination law – this exists to help you not be discriminated against and treated equally.
3. Health and safety - this is to make sure that the employer keeps you safe at all times while you are working in their employment. Making sure they keep to the rules
Identify sources and types of information and advice available in relation to employment responsibilities and rights?
• work contract
• policies and procedure documents
• terms and conditions
• job description
Understand agreed ways of working that protect own relationship with employer.
Describe the terms and conditions of your contract of employment?
• Position in the nursery
• Probation period to see if you suit
• Working hours throughout the week
• Holiday entitlement
• Notification of sickness and absence
• How many sick days entitled to per year
• Pension scheme (most nurseries do not have one)
• Training (in house or with a provider)
• Notice of dismissal or employment changes
Describe the information shown on your own payslip?
• Current address
• Employee number
• Employee name