Associate Level Material
Autism and Mental Retardation
Respond to the following:
1. List the primary features of autism.
-change is bad
2. Which explanation for autism is no longer considered valid and lacks research support?
The sociocultural view is no longer valid. It is now believed that cognitive limitations and brain abnormalities are more suitable explanations.
3. What forms of treatment are helpful for a person with autism?
At this time there are no treatments that can reverse autism. Some treatments that are helpful would be behavioral therapy, communication training, parent training, and community integration. Psychotropic drugs and vitamins combined with other approaches are also quite helpful.
4. List the criteria for a diagnosis of mental retardation:
People with mental retardation are well below average in both intelligence and adaptive abilities. A person with mental retardation has trouble with communicating, living at home, self-direction, and work/safety.
5. Explain one way in which sociocultural biases in testing might pose problems for assessing mental retardation.
Sociocultural biases would be environmental conditions and social status. People may not understand that children from good backgrounds and stimulating environments can be mentally retarded. Most people think this is limited to lower social classes.
6. Of the four levels of mental retardation, into which category do most people with mental retardation fall? The four levels of retardation are mild retardation, moderate retardation, severe retardation, and profound retardation. 85% os mentally retarded people have mild retardation.
7. What are the main types of biological causes of mental retardation?
The main types of biological causes of mental retardation are:...