March 18, 2011
“Whether life's disabilities left you outcast, bullied, or teased, rejoice and love yourself today
'cause baby you were born this way. No matter gay, straight, or bi, lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track baby I was born to survive.”
There has been an increase in suicides lately, especially among young males. The problem is Anti-Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) bullying and harassment. It is an epidemic but most people don’t care. In the U.S. 75% of students have no state laws to protect them from harassment and discrimination in school based on their sexual orientation. In public high schools, 97% of students report regularly hearing homophobic remarks from their peers. LGBT teens around the U.S are committing suicide because of anti-gay hate groups, bullying, and no laws to protect them from the harassment and discrimination. In the month of September alone, there were at least 10 male suicides.
* Billy Lucas, age 15, September 9, 2010. Indiana
* Alec Henrikson, age 18, September 30, 2010. Utah
* Cody J. Barker, age 17, September 13, 2010. Wisconsin
* Seth Walsh, age 13, September 19, 2010. California
* Tyler Clementi, age 18, September 22, 2010. New Jersey
* Asher Brown, age 13, September 23, 2010. Texas
* Harrison Chase Brown, age 15, September 25, 2010. Colorado
* Raymond Chase, age 19, September 29, 2010. Rhode Island
* Felix Sacco, age 17, September 29, 2010. Massachusetts
* Caleb Nolt, age 15, September 30, 2010. Indiana
These teens committed suicide because they didn't feel safe, didn't feel protected from the harassment and discrimination that they were going through each day. These teens were somebody’s babies. Millions of people of every race, gender, and age are going through some sort of harassment, and discrimination like these 10 teenagers did, whether they are LGBT or not. How is democracy helping the society if a majority of people vote for a...