Group: Marcus, Taylor, Destiny, Jade ,Quinton
Title: Osmosis with an egg lab
• Problem: how can we observe osmosis across a semi-permeable membrane
• Background: certain substances are ble to break down the egg shell leaving the transparent layer. Other substances can either make the egg shirnk or make it expand.
• Hypertonic: a higher osmotic pressure in one fluid than the other in the intercellular liquids.
• Hypotonic: a lower osmotic pressure in one fluid than the other in the intercellular liquids.
• Isotonic: having the same osmotic pressure throughout the intercellular liquids
• If an egg (cell membrane) is placed in a hypertonic environment then the water will dissolve from the egg and the egg will shrink in size.
• If an egg (cell membrane) is placed in a isotonic environment the water will not affect the egg and the egg will stay the same.
• If an egg (cell membrane) is placed in an hypotonic environment then the water in the in the egg will be pushed to the top forcing the egg to expand.
• Quantitative- texture, visual size, smell.
Mass before Mass after Dem. before Dem. after
Egg w/ sugar 78.6g 68.5g L: 17.0 cm
W: 18.0 cm L: 16.5 cm
W: 14.0 cm
Egg w/ pure water 6805g 81.3g L: 16.5 cm
W:14.0 cm L: 17.5 cm
W: 15.5 cm
Egg w/vinegar 31.0g 73.0g L: 17 cm
W: 15 cm L: 17 cm
W: 15 cm