Human Rights in Somalia
Somalia is located on the East coast in Africa and has and estimated population of eight and a half million. Somalia has been with out a central government since 2011. The Transitional Federal Government in the south, the self-declared Republic of Somaliland in the northwest, and the State of Puntland in the northeast are the three governments that are controlling the current government. In 2004 a small group of less then 300 members was elected to be in charge of the state of Puntland. This election started many mini wars between different clans all battling for government positions.
A combination between extreme levels of poverty and no central government have created numerous social issues. With the 85% of population having the same ethnic heritage and same religious beliefs it make the remaining 15% very outcast. When the 15% speak out about their heritage or religion it upsets the majority. In some areas of the country like the state of Puntland the minority are not even aloud to speak out about the religion or heritage. This is a major violation of the first amendment which states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” With the majority of the country of Somalia not following the first amendment the corrupted government cannot be fixed or replaced.
The issues of the nation don’t just reside along the first amendment. Several other human rights are being violated that are not just hurting the individuals but the country as a whole. Without the substitution of government Somalia will have no chance to improve itself in the near future.