Factors in Childhood Obesity
Specific Purpose: To inform the class of the danger of childhood obesity
Central Idea: Describe several risk factors that cause childhood obesity and ways of preventing it.
1. Attention Getter: How many of you are aware that in 2001 the surgeon general declared obesity to be an epidemic in the United States?
2. Reveal Topic: Factors in Childhood Obesity
3. Credibility: In my research I have read work from the Institute of Medicine and several other doctors considered to be experts in the field.
4. Relevancy Statement: The Institute of Medicine was appointed by congress to be at the forefront against the obesity epidemic and to create a plan for prevention
5. Preview: I will be discussing the definition of obesity along with factors that contribute to it and ways of prevention
1. The definition of obesity
1a. males- defined as being obese when they posses more than 25% fat in their total body wieght
1b. females- defined as being obese when they posses more than 32% fat in their total body weight.
1c. Body Mass Index (BMI)
- a formula used by people to estimate a persons body fat content using height and weight measurements.
-BMI is not a direct measurement of body fat but a good indicator
+underweight- below the 5th percentile
+normal weight- between the 5th and 85th percentile
+overweight- between the 85th and 95th percentile
+obese- above the 95th percentile
1d. Health Issues arising from Childhood Obesity.
high blood pressure, high cholesterol and abnormal blood lipid levels, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes
bone and joint problems
shortness of breath that makes exercise, sports, or any physical activity more difficult and may aggravate the symptoms or increase the chances of developing asthma
restless or disordered sleep patterns, such as obstructive sleep apnea
tendency to mature earlier (overweight kids may be taller and more sexually mature than their peers,...