March 3, 2012
The Success of Social Networking in Education
With the evolution of the Internet, the life of a normal person has changed rapidly. One of the most commonly asked questions today is “are you on Facebook?” or “did you check out the latest pictures on my profile?” Social networking websites have become a must visit web destination for everyone. In fact, finding someone who is not using any of the popular social networking services seems strange nowadays. Truly, People today can’t imagine living without social networking. It has become a daily routine no matter where you are. Those people who do not have the time to access their desktops often use a mobile device to stay connected with their friends. What’s even more interesting is that adults are using social networks more than the youth, which is something that has never happened before the last year or so. Nevertheless, there are many reports proving that social networking has become the dominant way to socialize with one’s community, society, and throughout the world, and is an excellent way to enhance today’s students in their education.
In a survey done by Professor Nini Chung from the University of Ottawa, Canada, the participants, all students, showed how they love and need to use a social networking site when studying (Hsiu-Ting, 704). All the participants, students, were given a survey. Most of the results reported that the students were comfortable learning with a social networking site or any source of technology in and out of class (Hsiu-Ting, 704). In other words, students do prefer to use Facebook, MySpace, or the internet in general, in class, they believe it will make their lecture more interesting (Hsiu-Ting, 704). The results were as follows, only 3% had less than 1 years of social networking experience, and didn’t find a need for them while educating. However, the remaining 97% participants have been using computers in learning and everyday...