Political parties plays vital role in democracy and can be considered as one of the most visible institutions. Plant hundred years ago there were few countries that had political parties and now there are few that do not have parties. Now-a-days, political parties have become omnipresent in democracies all over the world.
Political party can be termed as group of people who come together to contest elections and holds power in the government. This group of people agree on some policies, agenda and program for the society with a view to promote collective good. Political parties seek to implement these policies by winning popular support through elections. They reflect fundamental political division in a society and thus involve partisanship. They are known by the policies it support and whose interests it upholds in the society. Political parties have three components.
1. The headers
2. The Active Members
3. The followers
1. They contest elections by putting up their selected candidates. Candidates are either selected by members and supporters of a party ( i.e.VSA) or top leaders chase candidates for contesting elections ( India).
2. Political parties offers different policies and programs and the voters have the right to choose from them. They reduces a vast multitude of opinions into a few basic positions which it supports. It is the ruling party that decides lines and directions of ruling the government.
3. Political parties form and run governments and political executives from such party takes big policy decisions. They recruit leaders, train them and make them ministers to run the government as per their needs.
4. They play a decisive role in making laws for a country.
5. The losing political party plays the role of opposition to the parties in power. They raise their voice on government failures and wrong policies. These parties also mobilize opposition to the government.
6. Political parties shape public opinion as they raise and...