ST. JAMES KIARITHA SECONDARY SCHOOL.
1. School Statement of Intent
St. James Kiaritha Secondary School believes that all students are entitled to work and study in school related environments that are free of harassment, intimidation and bullying. Our mission is based on a philosophy of deep respect for the inherent worth of each individual, of regard for the environment and belief in the capacity for personal change. We commit ourselves to forming relationships with people so that each person may experience a sense of belonging, dignity and hope. It is through relationships that students and staff grow in self-understanding and self-esteem. Each person has the right to self-determination. Therefore, a safe and civil environment in school is necessary for our students to fulfill this mission and to learn and achieve high academic standards. Harassment, intimidation or bullying, like other disruptive or violent behaviors, is conduct that disrupts both a student’s ability to learn and our ability to educate students in a safe environment and therefore will not be tolerated.
2. The National and Legal Context
This policy takes full account of the school’s legal obligations to:
* Promote the well-being of pupils in school
* Develop a policy which encourages good behaviour and respect for others on the part of pupils and, in particular preventing all forms of bullying amongst pupils
* Establish procedures for dealing with complaints about bullying.
“Harassment, intimidation or bullying” means any gesture or written, verbal or physical act that takes place on school property, at a school-sponsored function or on a school bus that:
* Is motivated by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability; or,
* By any other distinguishing characteristic;...