English 3H, FLVS
June 28, 2015
01.04 Denotations and Connotations: Assessment
1. Having demonstrated its versatility as a high-tech newswire, Twitter drew the attention of
those who would prefer to see certain information suppressed.
Synonym = adaptability
Explanation: I chose the word adaptability, because the original word, "versatility" indicates that
Twitter has shown that it is very all-around. I wanted to use a word that shows that Twitter is
changing, or “adapting.”
2. Millions of users attempted to log into Twitter only to be greeted by the service's iconic "fail
whale," the image of a cartoon whale being hoisted into the air by a flock of birds, signaling
a site outage.
Synonym = notorious
Explanation: I chose the word notorious, because the original word, "iconic" indicates that the,
“fail whale,” is well-known. I wanted to use a word that shows that the, “fail whale,” is
something that is known by many, and is common.
3. Following the earthquake that struck Haiti in January 2010, Twitter reaffirmed its role as a
powerful tool for the dissemination of information.
Synonym = circulation
Explanation: I chose the word circulation, because the original word, "dissemination" indicates
that it is easy to spread out information on Twitter. I wanted to use a word that shows that
information is easily transmitted on Twitter.
4. Additionally, it became an effective fund-raising platform, when the Red Cross launched a
mobile giving campaign that surpassed all expectations.
Synonym = option
Explanation: I chose the word option, because the original word, "platform" indicates that
Twitter is a route you could take for fund-raising. I wanted to use a word that indicates that there
are other choices instead of Twitter.
5. High-profile users tweeted about the drive to help victims of the earthquake, and many of
their followers tweeted and re-tweeted the message, helping the Red Cross raise more than